In 1884, Donald Macpherson founded a paint, varnish and Chinese lacquer manufacturing business in Manchester.
In the 1920s and 1930s the company enjoyed a period of rapid expansion, moving to an old textile factory in Bury in the 1940s.
The group continued to build on its reputation for quality throughout the 1950s, 60s and 70s until it became the fourth largest coatings company in the UK in the early 1980s.
Since then the Macpherson Trade Paints’ brand has been acquired by some of the biggest names in the industry, until it became part of the Crown Paints family in 2008.
Crown Paints can trace its history back as far as 1777 and is now part of the Hempel Group, a world leading coatings supplier for the decorative, protective and marine markets. It goes without saying that our highest priority still remains the production of high quality paints which meet our customers’ needs.
All information regarding Crown Paints, our history, our brands and our CSR & Sustainability programmes can be found in this area of the website, but if you have any enquiries please contact a member of our Customer Relations Team on 0330 024 0313.